Sunday, February 3, 2013

My Superfoods Are Not Green

Because of my extreme sensitivity to gluten and dairy, I cannot take some vitamin or mineral supplements. I have to be extremely careful with anything I put in or around my mouth, even on my hands. For some reason or other, I believed that the only way to really get my vitamins was via supplements. It took lots of research on my part to realize that the best way is to get vitamins in their most natural form-food. DUH! More research later, I discovered several vitamin rich foods that I now add to my daily routine to re-build my health. Here is my list:

- Quinoa: It's got a mild flavor, which makes it delicious as a breakfast cereal or side dish. It is full of amino acids, very high in protein, iron, and gluten free. Because meat hits my stomach hard, I supplement my protein with this super grain.
- Blackstrap molasses: One tablespoon of this is extremely high in potassium (mine currently has 600 mg; Plantation brand), 20% iron and 20% calcium!
- Nutritional yeast: Bragg's is my favorite brand. I love this on popcorn, on my spaghetti, and as a supplement to cheese. It is also very high in B vitamins.
- Manuka Honey: While this particular food does not really have a vitamin content, it is full of medicinal properties. It is very good for those of us suffering with digestive ailments. It is even being used in wound dressings in other countries! I highly recommend keeping a jar handy at all times. However, to find authentic Manuka honey, be sure to only buy product with a license number, and the UMF symbol somewhere on the front of the jar. I can write a whole new blog on this miracle, but I think I'll leave that research up to you. I buy mine at my health food store, or my local Fresh & Easy Market.
- Bio-K+ probiotic drink: Okay, this isn't really a natural food, but it's loaded with probiotics. When my tummy feels irritated, this soothes it immediately. It is available in a dairy, soy, and rice base.

Getting my vitamins isn't limited to just these foods, however, these are my superfoods. After years of trial and error, I found that these are the easiest to digest, easiest on my tummy, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment